Sunday, September 30, 2012

Tummy Time: Chicken Pot Pie

Wanna play a little game? Okay. You know you're overly-domesticated when...
 
a. Your Valentine's Day and Christmas gifts in the same year were kitchen goods - and you loved it!
b. Your style Pinterest board has at least one apron picture on it.
c. Your version of an impulse buy is the list of ingredients for chicken pot pie.
 
The answer?!? Okay, all the above, but today, we're focusing on C!
 
See, here in Northern Alabam, we are finally being teased with weather that has been staying consistently below 90 degrees {which in case you didn't know, means Autumn is here. I'm serious} That and the accompanying cool breeze has this girl pining for the piping hot comfort food that gets basically sworn off for the sake of survival during the summer. So I thought I'd be a sweetheart, and share with you!
 
This is one of my all-time favorite foods I make here at home, and will always be my personal proof that Pinterest is awesome! {despite being pretty close to a complete waste 95% of the time}
 
I modified this recipe from one of my favorite food blogs, The Girl Who Ate Everything. Which really just means, I left out the onion. {However, I actually made it both ways and, while I prefer with, if you happen to have a husband who prefers without, it's basically the same}
 
Here is a picture of my beauty. I wouldn't brag except, it's pretty much the easiest thing. Ever. Seriously, if you have somebody to impress, and they appreciate comfort food, I suggest this approach. 
 

And here's how I did it...

Ingredients

1 lb. boneless chicken breast, cubed
16oz bag frozen peas and carrots {If you can't find them together, just buy them seperately}
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
32oz carton of chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
Unbaked pie crust {I use the refrigerated kind, any brand will do}
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Combine chicken, veggies, and broth in a pot and bring to boil. Boil for 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender. Reserve 1 3/4 cup of the broth and drain the rest. Set aside.

In a heavy bottom pot {I use my dutch oven, but any saucepan would do} melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and seasoning until combined. Slowly add milk and reserved broth, whisking constantly. Simmer over medium-lo heat until thick.

}Pearl of Wisdom: This mixture of butter and flour is called a Roux {pronounced "roo"} and it's a common thickener for homemade sauces and soups, so if you can master it here you have given yourself a new tool - and you'll sound super smart. Bring on the Alfredo Sauce!

Meanwhile, bake bottom crust for about 5 minutes, just long enough to keep it from getting soggy under all that creamy goodness. Combine broth mixture with chicken and veggies and pour filling into bottom crust. Cover with top crust and cut several slits in the top.

{I used a pie pan that had cute ridges around the edge, but you could achieve the same look by pinching the dough into little crimps all the way around, which is good since you want the top and bottom crusts to stick together anyway}

Bake for 25-30 minutes, then let sit for 10 minutes when it comes out so all the goodness stays inside when you slice it up and eat it. Ta-da! That's it.

If you would like to see the original recipe, you can find it here.

Enjoy, and bring on the comfort food!

No comments:

Post a Comment