Thursday, June 28, 2012

Time in a Bottle

From last Fall

Over on sweet Casey's Blog she talked recently of Fall. Of a little Fall craving to be exact. And it's odd, but I've been feeling the same way. When I was making my oatmeal this morning (I know what you're thinking "It's a million degrees outside, what is she doing making oatmeal?" But hey, my motto is "Buy what is cheap, use what you have" and oatmeal totally qualified this morning) I caught a sudden whiff of cinnamon and it was...magical. All the sudden I had this vision of our cozy house, plus Baby. It was just for a second, but it basically rocked.

Don't get me wrong, this summer has been pretty great so far. Baseball games with my guys, homemade barbecue, jean shorts and flip flops, yard sales, ice cold sweet tea, church picnics, the feeling you get when you walk in from the blaze and hit your first breeze of AC, and - despite the fact it's been mercilessly hot - very little complaining from me. Which is an accomplishment, people. Plus, that's not even counting the fun to come like Independence Day festivities and my birthday. So there's plenty to live for in the now.

But I just can't help it. Our lives have been turned upside down with the arrival of this little guy, and I can't help imagining all the great things to come. Really, just ordinary things that are there every year, but will be made so much sweeter by his presence. Cozy mornings, fragrant beverages, picking out gourds and pumpkins at the local farm stand, crisp walks, Halloween, Thanksgiving, lots of snuggling to "keep warm," and let us not ignore the behemoth - college football season. But it's like a treadmill. I can't think about all that without going further. His first Christmas, the lights - he will LOVE the lights, the music, the presents.......and then I stop.

Because this little guy is exploding before my eyes, getting bigger by the second, learning by the day, charming us all with his bashful flirting, and I cannot stand the thought of how quickly it's all happening. My little newborn is an infant, and that infant can already hold his head up and is so close to rolling over he can taste it. I think I'll take now, thanks :) 


Linking up with Casey Leigh today

No comments:

Post a Comment